Danforth Village, north of the Danforth, was land originally held by the Church of England. Local street names like Glebemount and Glebeholme, are reminders that this was once Church land.
The land south of the Danforth was not held by the Church. This land was originally owned by families engaged in either farming or in the brick making business. Danforth Avenue is named after Asa Danforth, an American contractor who built Kingston Road in 1799 but ironically he had nothing to do with the building of Danforth Avenue.
After being annexed to the City of Toronto in 1908 Danfoth Village began to be subdivided. The two most significant events in the growth of this neighbourhood were the completion of the Prince Edward Viaduct in 1918, and the opening of the Bloor/Danforth subway in 1966.
Danforth Village, north of the Danforth, east of Donlands and as far as Woodbine is an excellent choice neighbourhood for first time home buyers because of its affordability, together with the convenience of the Bloor-Danforth subway line.
The Danforth's many shops and restaurants reflect the multicultural flavor of the residents who live in this neighbourhood. The streets are lined mostly with semi-detached houses that feature distinctive front porches. The typical Danforth Village home was built between the 1920's and 1930's.
Danforth Village is well served by public transit. The Bloor-Danforth subway has stations at Donlands, Greenwood, Coxwell, Woodbine and Main. There are also regular bus and streetcar services from these stations. Danforth Ave also provides motorists with easy access to downtown while commuters are ten to fifteen minutes from the Don Valley Parkway and other connecting highways.